Thursday 28 February 2013

Moong Dal Kozhukattai


Ingredients:
2 cups of raw rice (soaked and drained)
1/2 cup of whole moong dal
1/4 cup of shredded coconut
1/2 cup of sugar (reduce or add to your preference)
A pinch of salt

Dry blend the soaked raw rice and steam for 15 minutes, remove to a bowl and break all the lumps so that you will have lump free flour, let it cool down. Now dry roast whole moong dal until a nice aroma is released from the dal, let it cool down for a while then pulse it the blender once (we are looking for coarse grains not fine nor whole).

Boil the dal with salt and some water to soften it do not add so much of water as we will be using the water for the dough preparation later. Let the dal cool so that easier to work with it, slowly add the cooked dal to the rice flour we have prepared earlier, add sugar and coconut. Mix well and shape it into kozhukattai, steam for 10 minutes or until its completely cooked.


Let the kozhukattai cooled before serving, now our Mong Dal Kozhukattai is ready to be served. Do try and let me know how was it!

40 comments:

  1. Looks very authentic dear!!! I'm no good in making traditional sweets or treats, but know how to eat them...haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy and delicious looking traditional kozhukattai.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, very new recipe for me arthy :-) ....will make this sometime :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good Arthy! Wish I could get a bite :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love moong dal and this sure is a sweet treat :) you have made them perfect dear

    ReplyDelete
  6. never had it...new to me...looks yummy and had different shape..In Kerala,we have rice flour kozhukkattai with coconut,jaggery,cumin seeds filling..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq dear....mom makes this for our breakfast....

      Delete
  7. new to me but looks yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy kozhukatta,super healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. something new to me dear.. healthy snack..

    ReplyDelete
  10. New recipe to me. Sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love traditional recipes and this looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, this certainly piqued my interest, as I love traditional snacks! for instance I thought it was fried, but steaming makes it even healthier. WIll definitely try this Arthy thank u for sharing:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! looks so delicious and inviting....this is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never tried this..looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  15. a very healthy and nutritious snack...!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nutritious kozhukattais,love to munch some.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious and easy evening snack. Love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the pidi marks on the k.kattas. Well made it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks super delicious Arthy... Love it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much fellow friends for commenting, your comments will help me to improve my blog and share more special recipes that I have tried with you. Do drop by often, yummy recipes waiting!

Arthy Suman