Sunday 25 November 2012

Chilli Coconut Chutney/ Chammanthi

I know that every family have their own style of making chammanthi/chutney, my family's favorite will be the thicker version that my mom and aunt grind using grinding stone. The taste of the chammanthi is so delicious, I can eat more than one dosa at a time. Okay without wasting any time let me bring you to the step by step pictorial on how to make Chilli Coconut Chammanthi;


Ingredients:

9 dried red chilli (depending on invididual preference)
1 cup of grated coconut
A small piece of ginger
4 garlic pods
3 pcs of shallots
Sugar to taste
Salt to taste

Dry roast dried chilli, ginger, garlic, shallots and let it cool for a while.



Firstly take grated coconut and grind coarsely


Now add all the dry roasted ingredients until fine


Now add sugar and salt


See perfectly ground chammanthi is ready


Collect the ground chammanthi to a ball


Now our Chilli Coconut Chammanthi is ready to be served, best eaten with hot idli and dosa

Do try and let me know how it turned out for you!




14 comments:

  1. wow...arthy lip smacking chammanthi....great that you made in a traditional way. It tastes far more better than we do in blender...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq Faseela...tnx to my aunt who let me snap the pic of her grinding it...

      Delete
  2. Arthy I can eat 3 dosas or 3 idlis with this chutney...very delicious..yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sis! Naan varen...ippoveh!!! Reminds me of my grandma who only makes this thengga thuvaiyal using ammi kallu...;) I just love it thick and spicy. I make it thicker with food processor but nothing beats the classic way!

    I loved the pics up here...brings me back to my grandma era...missed her dearly :(

    Thanks dearie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sis nothing beats the traditional ammi grinding stuffs...

      Delete
  4. wooo love to try......!!!! love the step by step click :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq dear...you can even use electronic grinder but make sure you don't add too much water...happy trying!

      Delete
  5. I am drooling here..makes me remember my childhood days. we would wait until our aunt would make this. after that we will wipe clean the stone. hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq dear...everyone has lots of memory thinking bout chammanthi and grinding stone....

      Delete
  6. WOw im luving it dear...making in a traditional ways makes it far more delicious...wud luv to have it with warm idlis..yum yum.
    Have a lovely week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh u made it the traditional way... kewl... Looks lipsmacking

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much fellow friends for commenting, your comments will help me to improve my blog and share more special recipes that I have tried with you. Do drop by often, yummy recipes waiting!

Arthy Suman