Saturday 4 August 2012

Chettinad Chicken Masala



The moment I saw this recipe on Mythreyi's blog Speciality Recipes From My(e) Kitchen I have decided this is a must try recipe, I'm a chicken lover so couldn't wait to cook and taste it. After tasting it, I knew it wasn't a waste I tried out this recipe but I made some alteration to suit my family's preference.

This is a simple recipe with less ingredients and consume very little time to cook. Let's check out the recipe together.


Ingredients:

500gm chicken (I used drumsticks)
1 onion sliced
1 tomato diced
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chili powder (I used 2 tsp)
1 cup thick coconut milk
1 cup water
2 dry red chili
1 cinnamon
2 cardamom
1 bay leaf
1 sprig curry leaves
Salt to taste
3 tbsp oil

Masala spice:

2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp pepper
6 cashew nuts


Dry roast spices and grind to fine powder, keep aside.

In a pan, heat oil and add dry chili, curry leaves, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom and fry a while. Then add sliced onion and saute for a couple of minutes, now add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes.

Add diced tomato, ground masala powder, turmeric powder, chili powder and salt, mix everything well. Add coconut milk and water to the chicken and cook covered until chicken well cooked. Remove lid and cook until gravy thickens.

Now our Chettinad Chicken Masala is ready to serve. Do try and enjoy the chicken.

I'm sending this recipe to  Anu's Healthy Kitchen event co-hosted by Reva Kaarasaaram "SYF&HWS - Cook With SPICES" Series Cinnamon

SYF & HWS - Cinnamon

7 comments:

  1. delicious dear.....can u please link the web address of the hokkien recipe and my style indian veg noodle instead of your home page link .so, that the name of the recipe leads to that particular recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for trying out my recipe dear. It looks so vibrant and delicious.
    I would request, can you please link Chettinad Chicken Masala link instead of home page. For your convenience here is my recipe link http://myerecipecorner.blogspot.in/2012/08/chettinad-chicken-masala.html?m=1
    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have linked correctly now Shama and Mythreyi...please forgive me as I'm very new to blogging....thanx for commenting....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sis, how are you? Just a question if you don't mind, the bay leaf used, is it the fresh type or dried type? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I'm fine....I have used dried bay leaf....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sis, how are you? I tried this recipe but had to make some changes to it to suit me because I can't get curry leaves easily where I live.
    Also, regarding the masala spice do I have to grind it to a course powder/fine powder? I added some garlic and ginger paste as well and used maybe half cup of thick coconut milk. The amount of chicken I used was about 750gm.
    For me the taste is good, but the masala is slightly course. I will make more changes the next time I make it again. Your advise would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kash im glad u hv tried this recipe...actual recipe call for finely ground masala spice....the amount of coconut milk cn b adjusted depending on individual preference....some totally omit coconut milk ....my mom doesn't add ginger garlic for all chicken dishes....n this recipe dont call for it so i didn't add...try a few times with different adjustments u wil def come to ur favorite....tq

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much fellow friends for commenting, your comments will help me to improve my blog and share more special recipes that I have tried with you. Do drop by often, yummy recipes waiting!

Arthy Suman